RE: [TCML] quench times againInbox

Where do you get that slow reactions equate to higher efficiency in a Tesla Coil?  Pri/sec coupling affects the rate at which energy is traded between the two systems.  A higher coupling means that the transfer occurs is a shorter period of time.  Energy transfer occurs only while the spark gap is conducting, so a lower coupling takes longer to transfer the energy, and the gap is conducting longer.  It should be clear that a spark gap is the greatest loss-component in a Tesla coil.  The longer that the gap is conducting, the more losses it incurs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if a spark gap took forever to act".  A spark gap is either conducting or it's not.  If it were conducting forever, it certainly would have a heat loss.

Please explain the basis for your statement "For a given level of power we can always expect the amplitude to decrease as we increase the frequency."  And please be clear on amplitude of what, keeping what else constant?

Thanks, Gary Lau
MA, USA

As for conduction loss at the spark gaps, in wires, and between tank capacitor  plates. One can make a general remark regarding thermodynamic efficiency. As we slow down the flow of energy across dielectrics and imperfect conductors we will find that our entropic losses decrease This may sound trivial, but it is not. In theory if a spark gap could take forever to act, it would have no heat loss.  Of course it is also true that a spark gap that took forever to act would process very little power. (the catch- 22)

As a general trend, slow reactions equate to higher efficiency.

For a given level of power we can always expect the amplitude to
decrease as we increase the frequency.

This also holds true for coupling. As we diminish the transfer time
the amplitude decreases

Hence a rather good recipe for poor coil performance is high frequency
with tight coupling.