Re: [TCML] Quench time

Hi Jared,

Rake Chris over the coals? I don't think anyone thought that and I know I didn't. As far as I was concerned, you were simply stating high frequency impedance losses (ohmic, dielectric, etc..) which increase with higher frequency and certainly increase losses in the cap, primary, secondary, wiring, etc..

All I'm saying is I agree, at least in my opinion. I am also saying those losses are possibly acceptable.

On your gap analogy, it kind of confused me, but I think your just trying to get across how impedances affect the ability of energy to be put to work and how higher frequency increases impedances and reduces that ability.

The reason slow reactions equate to higher efficiency is due to the materials and mediums with which the reactions are processed (at least my understanding). I was considering those losses when high frequency came into the picture, but what I didn't see was the how the energy transfer between the two coils was reduced in time with frequency. I then wondered about the coils eddy currents, high frequency impedances with conductor area and material, etc.. and realized those particular losses will be negligible due to the conductor length and size. A side benefit is the extreme high Q and ring up between gap conduction times. It's an interesting approach and one I've never seen looked at.

Take care,
Bart

I am not out to rake Chris over the coals, or anything like that. In
fact I was not really thinking about his coil at all with my last
post. Mostly I am looking at the large number of posts on this topic
where the accounting of energy needs a bit more clarity of thought.

As for conduction loss at the spark gaps, in wires, and between tank
capacitor plates. One can make a general remark regarding
thermodynamic efficiency. As we slow down the flow of energy across
dielectrics and imperfect conductors we will find that our entropic
losses decrease This may sound trivial, but it is not. In theory if a
spark gap could take forever to act, it would have no heat loss.  Of
course it is also true that a spark gap that took forever to act would
process very little power. (the catch- 22)

As a general trend, slow reactions equate to higher efficiency.

Jared Dwarshuis