A Coiler's Intuition (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:31:42 -0600
From: Michael Robinson <muze801@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: A Coiler's Intuition

Well everybody I've decided not to increase my coil's power. (at least for now)

While I was running it tonight and was getting some of my best
streamers yet, I was overcome by a great feeling that something was
going to finally fail on me very soon.  I was thinking this as I was
fine tuning it, so i felt my caps, and to my surprise they were
somewhat warm which I had never noticed before.
After moving my tap an inch or so I decided to do one more run for the
night, and got good results, but as I powered it down I heard a very
faint hiss.  I decided to check everything out and looked at my NST,
Caps, Gap, and anything else it could be, but nothing looked wrong.
This prompted one more test run, so I came to my variac and fired it
up once more.
After less than 5 seconds...BOOM!!!...One of my capacitors exploded
(my ears are still ringing)

And so ends a beginner coiler's first 'disaster'.