RE: rf damage (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:34:43 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: rf damage (fwd)

Jim,
     I agree with Bart, this is why.  Last semester, I entered a research
fair at my university with the topic of Tesla coiling (I did not win, but
that is because it is one hundred year old technology, and they are
looking for new stuff, MIT might want to take notes!).  I did not get to
run my coil however, as my research adviser/sponsor said it probably would
not be a good idea, given the great number of computers, and presence of
wireless internet.  So, if you are going to run it, which would be cool
indeed, you should do the following to keep all the technical staff and
your conscience happy.

1.  Build a Faraday cage (this is simply a frame wrapped in something like
chicken wire) this will be attached to the RF ground and surround the
coil, it eliminates almost all RF, a light bulb held in your hand will not
glow if you put it in one of these whilst running a coil, I've tried.  If
you want to showcase the glowing bulb trick however, put the bulb in the
cage, it should glow only on the portion inside the cage up to your hand.

2.  Get EMI filters, go to fair radio sales, I bought two from there for
like $10 and they work pretty good, the TV doesn't flicker nearly as much
as it used too (this is how I can tell, maybe not the best test, but aside
from the color acting funny for a few seconds at a time, once in a while,
our TV works perfectly normal).

3.  Make sure there is a way to properly ground your coil where you intend
to show it, and I would avoid using too long of a wire for your RF ground
connection, if you must, place it close to a door, and you may want to
consider a counterpoise as well.

4.  As Bart said, find a breaker with nothing sensitive on it, ideally
running in separate conduit from any computer lines (maybe overkill).  If
you are showcasing in an auditorium, this should not be too much of an
issue

5.  Use a breakout point, I have found it seems to reduce the amount of Rf
created (using the distance you are able to light a bulb, and how bright
it gets, as a test).

6.  My cellphone is never been bothered by my coil, but land based phones
are (I once transmitted static over an answering machine back to my cousin
on his cell phone, while I was running my coil in my basement).  But I
have made calls on my cell whilst running the coil and it doesn't seem to
have hardly any effect (again, probably not the best idea, but in the name
of science!).

Ok, number six is not a preventative measure, but I felt it may be
appropriate to mention.  If you do all of these things, the only possible
step left is to take out a 2 million dollar insurance policy, but I don't
think that will be necessary for an occasional showing.  Have fun!

Scott Bogard.