Re: electric motor hook up (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:50:43 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: electric motor hook up (fwd)

>I salvaged a motor from a centrifuge.  110v, brush type with approx a
>.393" shaft.  i'm used to dealing with only two wires,..this has four,
>.....two yellow, one red, one white.

>the two yellow go directly to each brush,
>and the red goes to the field coil (?) on one side of the
>motor, the white goes to the coil on da other side,
    Is there a connection from one side to other?
    Ohmeter check?

>...how do I hook these up correctly ???

 Hard to say.
 Any other markings?
 Makers name/data plate?
 AC motor or DC?
 Is it known it ran off AC?
  (Sometimes power rectifier is buried inside instrument).
 Any idea of RPM (centrifuges can be FAST.

 There ARE, tho hard to find, industry standards (recommendations)
 for wiring colors.

 At a GUESS its a series (universal) motor, IF so:
   Yellow to line
   (other) Yellow to Red
   White to neutral.

 Use care, if trying.  Wait for more advice.

best
 dwp