Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:59:19 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text?

I have had the need on several occasions now to correct myths about Tesla
but lack the knowledge base. Does anyone recommend a book that will have
this sort of information.

Things like
"Lit up 200 light globes at 40 miles."
Hard to conceive doing this even with a wire.  Think about it in terms of
wire resistance for DC particularly if only conventional mains voltages.
Suppose light globes are 100V 50W  then 200 x 50W = 1kW. At 100V this is
10A. Even 10 ohms will be a major problem and would require very thick wire
to get 0.25 ohms per mile. 2 Two strands of 0 SWG = 9mm thick would do this.
And this is just one way.  It assumes a very good earth is available at both
ends.  Use one strand of 9mm and you will light up the globes at 1/4 current
and perhaps 1/10 brightness.
At current copper prices that is something like $14,000. Not counting
supports etc.
Using low frequency AC allows voltage step up then the supports become
important and you need to run transformers at either end.  And using high
frequency or even Tesla output is out of the question due to corona,
capacitative and inductance issues.
To do that as a wireless setup even with a mile high transmitter and
receiver and resonant setup would seem far fetched to get that sort of
performance

I understand that this was press hyperbole that has grown by word of mouth.
I recall someone stating that the original experiment was that he lit up
some globes just outside the lab earthed to a pipe.  I don't have the
background for that.

Similarly, Tunguska explosions, death rays, resonant vibrations and 100MV
sparks are all ludicrous.

Can anyone help direct me?

Peter