Re: scrap transformers (no oil in them) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:35:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Timka <tomasdoc2002@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: scrap transformers (no oil in them) (fwd)

This is a typical Chinese company among many similar that buys "color" metals such as copper, aluminum, bronze alloys, steel, etc. They buy it as scrap by ton for peanuts and sell in their mainland for very much more. Same is true for India. These both countries are in rapid development & growth mode and VERY hungry for a good quality metals. Unfortunately they are not as good in stealing or developing their own technology so most of what they do is ass-backwards and not too reliable, hey, anyone want Rolex for $20 bucks?
  Old ships and submarines from US and Russia are sold to them to be cut in pieces and used in mass production as these countries do not have a respectable technology to produce good quality metals in a large quantity. Russian generals made fortunes selling old tanks and titanium fins from rockets to China. I heard some funny stories about my comrades selling mined nickel by a train load to China and marking it as old scrap and tractor parts.
  Aluminum & copper is used mostly for conductors. China is growing and preparing for Olympics, they need it to create power grids for new infrastructures. I doubt you can buy old transformers directly from this place but even if you can, what is the warranty that it is not blown?