Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:06:37 -0500
From: Crispy <crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 19:41 -0600, Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

This is correct.  And in my case, the transformer will not be able to
keep up.

> When you say the charging is not affected by the transformer, that is
> partially true in that the storage caps are providing the charge to the
> tank. But if the transformer cannot keep up, the storage cap(s) "will"
> loose energy over time. There's no way around that except to find a
> firing voltage in which the current required to achieve the rate of that
> particular voltage is capable of the transformers ability or to stop
> firing for a time to allow the recharge.

Actually ... there is a way around it.  Allow the reservoir capacitor to
be fully charged by the transformer, and then pulse it into the charging
circuit in bursts, so the actual Tesla coil circuit is only connected a
small percentage of the time.  This is what we have been discussing.