Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:35:38 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla myths corrected - Best text? (fwd)

Matt, I think you summarised the whole Tesla legend very well and the
difficulties facing those after the facts.

Without specific readings my educated guesses are:
It seems Tesla has reasonably photo documented sparks of 22 feet or so. (not
130ft)
Almost certainly less than 1MV. (not 100MV)
Should be able to light some light bulbs perhaps 100 feet away with a
resonant coil setup.
Lighting 200 bulbs to full brightness would need to almost be in range of
the sparks to get 10kW transfer to such an unmatched impedance. (not 40
miles)

Anyone care to significantly differ (by a magnitude or at least)?

Peter"

	I'm some true believers will but seems to me you are being generous in reporting his real accomplishments.  There are pictures in CSN of bulbs lighted AT THE CENTER of his primary, something he didn't find any more unusual than we would, and of one small and lonely bulb sitting at the bottom of a lonely coil sitting on the ground somewhere outside the lab, distance unspecified. From his comments he felt this probably inductively and capacitively coupled but certainly in no way a demo of his proposed power transmission system.

	I go along with Richard Hull's feeling that the whole Colorado Springs work was for the purpose of developing just the resonant parts of the transmitter circuit and verifying "extra coil" performance.  His notes sure don't suggest otherwise.

Ed