Re: Bleeder (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:26:54 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bleeder (fwd)

MMC, 1/2W, 10M ohms (if ESR is similar to common CD capacitors). Mount
directly across each cap if you have enough caps in series to minimize
the voltage across each cap. If only a few MMC's in series (less than
10), it may prudent to use a couple 5M resistors in series (to increase
arc voltage across the resistors).

As far as "bleeder", maybe not the correct term in this case. Equalizing
resistors would be a better term although bleeding also occurs (but the
time duration is long, so don't think of it in terms of a "bleeder").
The transformer does the real bleeding. Disconnect the transformer from
the charged cap at the right time and the bleed will be very slow. You
can get zapped in that situation. A bleeder is designed to bleed down a
charge in some amount of time, but bleeders can fail open. NEVER rely on
bleeding as a safety device. Been there, done that, got ZAPPED!

Why 10M ohms? Due to common CD caps ESR. This value provides a low loss
resistive approach to equalizing the voltage across the string without
waisting a lot of power across the resistor. But, if you use a cap with
a vastly different ESR value, you will need to adjust the equalizing
resistor for the same efficiency.

BTW, the cap will work without the resistors. Are you more likely to
kill a cap? Of course you are. Will it actually kill the cap? Depends on
the caps ESR and the number of caps in series. The equalizing resistors
are simply a low cost safety device for the caps themselves. Their not a
human safety device.

Imagine 10 resistors in series and 10,000V across the series string.
Obviously your going measure 1000V or very near across each resistor.
That is the basic idea of equalizing the voltage across each cap. To
keep the voltage drop across each one as "similar" to the next as
possible. Although any value resistor will do this, it is important to
get the value high enough so that power is not waisted in the resistor
itself. The ESR of each cap plays a role in that voltage drop because it
is in parallel with each resistor. We arrive at 10 Meg resistors to
achieve this situation with Cornells common MMC capacitors. If a
different capacitor is used, there might be a better resistor value to
optimize the string.

Take care,
Bart