Re: OBIT Test Problem (reformatted) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:21:59 -0400
From: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: OBIT Test Problem (reformatted) (fwd)

Matt,

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago when trying to figure out
the windings of a high current transformer from a band saw blade
welder.  I got readings that were all over the map, and often
inconsistent from one application of the test leads to the next.

I solved the problem by applying a 1K ohm power resistor across the
meter terminals.  It seems that the high impedance  digital meter was
sensing all kinds of transients off the line and giving false readings.

HTH,

Dave