Re: Fried Caps? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:32:58 -0700
From: huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fried Caps? (fwd)

OOPS!

There's a typo in my previous post on  GE 42L series cap failures.

The Cornell-Dubilier caps you want are the 942C series, not the 940C series.
The 940's are metallized-film construction, just like the GE 42L series. The
C-D 942 series utilize hybrid film-foil construction, with aluminum foil as
both outer plates, and a metallized-film inner plate. The foil outer plates
provide "real metal" for the sprayed-on end connections to attach to, which
can handle high peak current. The metallized-film inner plate provides the
"self-healing" feature that prevents catastrophic failure in case excessive
voltage punctures the dielectric.

Details of this hybrid construction can be seen on C-D's website.

Regards,
Scott Hanson