RE: Why ARE the sparks blue / purple (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:02:10 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Why ARE the sparks blue / purple (fwd)

James,
     The sparks color as perceived by our eyes, is determined by:
Atmospheric composition, Atmospheric pressure, Arc current, the presence
of trace elements (burning bits of metal or dust (this is usually
negligible in TC streamers, but they make a big difference in Jacobs
ladder streamers)), ambient light (duh,).  The reason I say "percieved
color" is that many, many wavelengths are produced by a TC spark, the
purple color is the combination of them (which is why filmed and
photographed arcs look a differant color than real life, the camera is not
sensitive to all the frequencies that our eyes are).  I hope I answered
your question.

Scott Bogard.