RE: Soljacic wins $10k MIT Young Scholar Award (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:34:29 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Soljacic wins $10k MIT Young Scholar Award (fwd)

At 07:56 AM 8/31/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

Scan back in the archives so the moderators don't beat on me...

But, in short:
Prof. Soljacic set up a demo of inductive near field coupling between
two high Q tuned circuits. He described it using terminology derived
from his field (optics) rather than EM, so it is not obvious at first
glance that it is 100 years old. Then, made claims that it can be
used to wirelessly transmit *signficant* amounts of power over short
distances (meters), without recognition of the fact that this would
create near field energy densities many orders of magnitude greater
than the current ANSI limits. This was sort of covered in his papers
with a comment (paraphrasing here): "The physics demonstration is
complete. Now all the engineers have to do is increase the
efficiency, figure out a way to insure that the two circuits always
resonate at the same frequency, with varying environments and loads,
and come up with a way to do this that meets regulatory compliance."
the problem being that the physics itself will prevent regulatory
compliance and barring revolutionary advances in room temperature
superconductors, the efficiency will also be limited.

BUT, it sure sounds good.. "Witricity"

MIT should be ashamed.

Jim