RE: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:11:27 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

I'm having a hard time envisioning some way to use a SKIL saw for an RSG
that wouldn't smoke it in short order.  That the saw was in fact
grounded would only make its destruction more likely.

At least one, possibly both of the stationary electrodes are at
pig-potential.  If the saw case is at ground potential, how could the
saw possibly insulate against an arcover between the blade and
case/motor?  The only scenario I could see working would be if the saw
was battery-powered and completely insulated from everything.

Or, is the entire primary circuit, including both pig HV terminals, not
connected or otherwise referenced to mains or RF ground?  Any arcs to
the primary would be a problem there!  Is it possible to describe the
primary circuit wiring?

If you're running long wires from the house to the garage, they are
probably what's saving your bacon, acting as an unintended resistive
ballast.  Attempting to "improve" them with fatter wires would surely
pop your breakers if they're not already welded shut.

If it's not abundantly clear, the consensus is that this is a very
unsafe configuration.  I strongly urge you to understand and believe
that there are well-founded reasons for using ballasts and proper,
insulated spark gaps.  A pole pig is not suitable for learning by one's
mistakes, except by enforcing natural selection.

Regards, Gary Lau

> From: daryl barsoom <rockincoiler@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: ballast are bogus!!!
>
> hi BunnyKiller,
>
>   wow, lots of responses, thanks everyone!!!
>
>     my coil has 950 turns of green ground wire that is kind of stiff.
the