Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 19:24:34 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

Hi Adam,

Yes, true for 25kva pig. Even my 10kva pig will try to pull 2,770 amps!
But, the common sense in that sentence is "try". What we hope it would
do under such a short circuit condition (unballasted) is hopefully trip
the breakers without an electrical explosion and without too much damage
to the wiring. But, there's a very real chance the breakers will be too
slow and thus a real possibility of an electrical fire.

In my case, my pig wiring is not part of the house wiring. I ran
external feeds for coiling (just in case stupid showed up for the show).
The last thing I need is a burned down house. I've been through one
burned down house and I don't need that again (not from coiling but an
old gas water furnace blew up in the garage while on a weekend
excursion). A very odd feeling to drive up right when the firemen are
putting out the last flames on your house (what timing, eh?). Had a
boxer (dog) with pups in the garage where the furnace blew up. She was
fed by a neighbor while we were away. Princess (dog) broke through the
side door window and managed to save 2 of the pups (the rest died). Dogs
are truly amazing creatures!

A house burning down is a terrible event for anyone to go through. We
must prevent this possibility in our coiling community (i.e., ballasting
pigs or similar transformers is truly important for more reasons than
simply limiting current for coiling purposes).

Take care,
Bart