Re: Oil insulated secondaries (fwd) (Are they worth it?) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:48:37 -0700
From: huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Oil insulated secondaries (fwd) (Are they worth it?) (fwd)

Scott -

If you'd check the TCML archives, you would see that I have been promoting
Enviro-Tex "Pour-On" epoxy for coating secondarys for at least the last
seven years. I've tried three different types of clear 2-part epoxy, but the
Enviro-Tex product was the only one that the perfect combination of medium
viscosity, long pot life, optical clarity, slight flexibility when cured,
and a completely tack-free surface when fully cured.

Even though the Enviro-Tex literature suggests the use of CO2 may
helpbubbles to pop, in my experiments with pure CO2 (TIG welding gas) it was
completely ineffective. Warm air from a heat gun turned out to be extremely
effective. I actually talked to the Enviro-Tex "tech support" people, and
their recollection was that it was found that exhaling on a freshly-coated
table top seemed to help pop tiny bubbles in the epoxy, and an assumption
was made that it must have been caused by the CO2. More likely, it was just
the warmth of the exhaled air. Remember that this is sold as a coating for
heavily used table tops in restaurants and bars, so they don't have much
first-hand experience with "technical" applications like coating Tesla coil
secondarys.

Regards,
Scott Hanson