RE: Tesla magnifiers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 00:39:16 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Tesla magnifiers (fwd)

Jay,
     I'll let the experts get down and dirty with details, but every coil
plays a role in frequency (all three).  You can build a magnifier, and
tune it with any reasonably sized coils.  A magnifier is basically an
autotransformer, the first two coils act like a conventional TC, producing
high voltage, the third coil, through auto-transformer action steps this
voltage up higher, but it also greatly changes the systems resonant
frequency (I would imagine it lowers it, but I am not entirely sure).
Think of it like a variac that is set to put out 140 volts, the third coil
is like the windings beyond the 120V input winding, except it is a
resonant transformer, not a conventional one.  You can swap a different
coil in for the "resonator" and still get decent sparks, if you re-tap the
primary, and if it is not beyond the tuning range of the device.  I had
the privilege of watching a pretty sweet (big) magnifier run once, they
are seriously cool.  There are a lot of fine points to building a
magnifier, that make it much superior to a conventional, over coupled,
really tall secondary toting conventional TC.  I hope this helps, good
luck with your paper (I have one due soon as well, but it is about farming
and oil, kind of boring). Scott Bogard.

> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:01:02 -0600
> From: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Tesla magnifiers (fwd)

Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger Café.
http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_SeptWLtagline