Re: Winding Lathe Construction (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:09:17 -0700
From: Jon Danniken <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Winding Lathe Construction (fwd)

>Crispy wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anyone have any good plans for building a simple, cheap lathe to
> wind a coil on a 6" PVC sewer pipe form?  I need to be able to buy
> everything online, including the motor.

My first winding jig used an old phonograph machine.  The next one used a
bicycle wheel.  Both of those were hand powered.

The last one I made I did a little better, a vertical 2x4 on each end
(clamped to my workbench) with a hole drilled in each one to hold a long
threaded rod.  The motor I used was an old blender I picked up for a couple
bucks at a garage sale, for which I made a footswitch from an old
microswitch I grabbed from a microwave oven.

In other words, it doesn't have to be anything fancy or permanent, just
something to hold the coil while you nudge the wire into the correct
position.

Jon