Re: Secondary Internal Gaseous Insulation (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:35:15 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Secondary Internal Gaseous Insulation (fwd)

In a message dated 9/18/07 8:49:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Has anyone ever tried preventing internal secondary arcing by  filling

>the secondary with some sort of insulating gas, such as  sulfur

>hexafluoride?  I think it would be fairly easy to do so,  considering SF6

>would sink and could be sealed in the secondary with  baffles.

    When somebody recently posted about Robert  Stephen's coils, I noticed
the caption here:

_http://www.area31.org/mtc-a1.html_ (http://www.area31.org/mtc-a1.html)

    But it doesn't say *which* insulating gas he  used.

>  I just can't find a good source for it.

    You could always make your own - just  add fluorine to sulfur. :) Just be
careful of the decafluoride!

    SF6 has many esoteric uses; you might be able to  procure some through
channels other than electrical suppliers...

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities