coupling losses ? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:23:00 +0100
From: Chris Swinson <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: coupling losses ?

Hi all,

If you start at 10KV on the primary, and the secondary is maybe 2" away,
there is some distance there and coupling will be lower. As there is some
distance, the 10KV line has to drop over the square of the distance ?

Saying so, if stating out with 50% coupling, then it would be more like only
5KV actually gets onto the secondary coil ? After some of my own analysis of
sparks gaps, its probable that my 10KV source will not turn off over the
spark gap until about 8kv. So if we take 8KV as the actual primary voltage,
loose 50% due to low coupling, then this leaves us with only 4KV actually
driving the secondary coil ?

On this basis the voltage gain of the secondary would have to be 50 to gain
200KV output ? Does the "50" not mean the "Q" of the coil ?, or what tesla
called the "magnifying factor" ?

cheers
Chris