RE: new secondary....... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:45:44 -0600
From: S&JY <youngs@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: new secondary....... (fwd)

Neondave,

Using #26 wire, 1200 turns will make a winding length of about 21".  1500
turns is only about 26".  If you want longer sparks, you need a longer
secondary, which means you need to use a larger gauge wire, or space-wind it
with your #26 wire.

Typical coils have a H to D ratio of about 5.  So an 8" diameter secondary
should have a winding length of about 40 inches, a 6" secondary should have
a winding length of about 30 inches.  Knowing the winding length you need,
you can then use a wire table or WinTesla to determine the wire size you
should use.  WinTesla says about 1300 turns of #21 wire takes 40 inches, and
about 1200 turns of #23 wire takes 30 inches.

As for power, #26 wire should be fine at 3 KW.

(The other way to use your #26 wire is to build a magnifier and use a huge
toroid on the third coil.  If you look in the archives, you can see that a
10 or 12 inch long third coil can produce 10 foot streamers!)

--Steve Y.