RE: Aluminium Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:54:25 -0700
From: Dr.Hankenstein <Dr.Hankenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Aluminium Wire  (fwd)

Good point, Gary, and nice job on the experimenting.

I agree that aluminum works well for RF signals in the frequency range most
of us coilers deal with. For example: A 525kv, 1100megawatt-rated
transmission line strung with aluminum conductors stretching several
hundred miles might typically use a PLC (Power Line Carrier) with tuned
wavetraps on each end of the line for voice/data/relaying. They normally
operate in the frequency range of 30~500khz with only 80 watts of drive!
(That's only 0.000007% of the total power the line is carrying, for
comparison!).....and, they've been doing it for over 40 years effectively.
I don't think the power company would be doing this if the losses were too
great. I do prefer to see some substantiating results/comparisons such as
yours rather than a carte blanch statement suggesting that "aluminum is a
loser" for RF.

Woo

PS: 73's & nice antenna and ground switch arrangement, Ralph