RE: Aluminium Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:22:00 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Aluminium Wire  (fwd)

I don't dispute that copper is the best choice for a primary conductor.
It is for several reasons, lower resistance by a factor of 1.6 for same
conductor diameter being the best one.  Solderability and availability
also better.  But I don't believe that the resistive behavior of
aluminum changes at RF frequencies in a way that warrants advising folks
to avoid it at all costs.  The testing that I did measuring the AC
resistance showed NO frequency-dependant difference in resistance beyond
the difference in DC resistance.  Calling aluminum wire a loser just
because it exhibits a 1.6X higher resistance over same-sized copper wire
is like saying 14 gauge wire is a loser because it also has 1.6X (yes,
what a coincidence!) the resistance that 12 gauge wire has.  So a 12
gauge aluminum primary will behave identically to a 14 gauge copper
primary, regardless of frequency.  It's all relative.

My point is that blanket statements that aluminum is bad at RF
frequencies leads folks to silly behaviors, like saying that RSG
electrode holders should not be made of aluminum because RF currents are
involved.

Gary Lau
MA, USA