Re: [TCML] using larger secondary wire for the base

I configured a 4" x 24" secondary this way.  I wound
it with 28AWG, which is way too fragile for frequent
handling.  This was to be a modular-type TC with
interchangeable toploads and quick-swap secondaries,
so I needed a plan.

I wrapped the last five turns or so at the top with
flexible, vinyl insulated 22AWG stranded hookup wire.
I put the final 2 turns together thru a short sleeve
of oversize heatshrink.  I made the solder joint
between the 28AWG and 22AWG wires as small and neat as
possible, then covered it with a bit of heatshrink
tubing as well.  Finally, I used a heatgun to shrink
all the tubing.

I did the same thing at the bottom except I used
stranded 14AWG automotive primary wire, leaving a long
pigtail for connection to a ground rod.

Finally, I coated the whole secondary with several
coats of oil-based clear spar varnish.  This anchored
my termination turns nicely.

I finished the ends of these wires with standard
spade-type terminal lugs (crimped and soldered) for
quick connect/disconnect.

I made this secondary several years ago, and it is
still serviceable, so guess my idea worked.

Greg