Re: [TCML] Variable RSG

So an angle grinder with a variac wouldn't accomplish this? I have a heavy duty 5A 4.5" Dewalt grinder and a 10A variac. I was thinking of making a 6" long bar of G10 stock with 2 flying electrodes for 333 - 390 bps between 120 to 140 volts, if rpms are somewhat linear with voltage input. I also have a couple motors from wet saws. They look like big angle grinders and turn 9" blades. I'm not sure of the rpms, I'll have to check today at work. After that, I also have  4 or 5 single phase motors  ranging from 1/16 horse to 1/2 horse. I believe that they are all 1750rpm. Would any of these suffice? Just asking before I spend the time and money to make something that won't do the job.
Between still needing to get a larger variac and spending so much on the Teletype motor and rotor, I don't have much left in the budget to buy a whole new motor setup any time soon.

bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi Scott,

I meant to reply to your thoughts about Grainger, but deleted the email
and emptied trash. So writing this under and new subject.

Anyway, yes Grainger does have some decent prices. But, for AC speed
control, price is HP dependent (even at Grainger). If motor is under
1/4HP, you can pick up a speed control for $34. But for something like a
1HP motor, you head to the $170 range minimum. I use a 2HP Baldor
myself. This of course gets even more expensive for speed control. Even
at 1HP, your already at VFD prices. The motors themselves are cheap and
3-phase is likely the least expensive. For DC motors, the price can get
very high in the 1HP range. This is where eBay comes in real handy.

Adam and myself are using a VFD to control a 3-phase motor and vary
speed with a simple potentiometer. My Altivar31 2HP VFD is expensive at
$300 each off the shelf. No matter how you slice it, as HP is increased,
variable speed will cost a bundle between the motor + controller if
purchased as new (even at Grainger). I think eBay is still probably the
best way to beat these enormous prices.

BTW, I should let everyone know I have a brand new (in box complete with
375 page manual) ABB 3HP VFD for sale which list in the $500 range. I'm
letting it go for $200. P/N is ACS350-01E-09A8-2, 1-phase 200 to 240,
21A and 3-phase 230V out, 9.8A, 0 to 500 Hz variable frequency. I
haven't used it and I don't know any of the details. Should not be too
difficult to figure out.

I also have a used 2HP SquareD Altivar 31 VFD for sale for $125. Works
perfect! Don't have the p/n handy, but it's 1-phase 200-240 in and
3-phase 230V out with 0 to 500 Hz variable frequency.

If anyone wants these, they should contact me at bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I will also offer a money back guarantee that these VFD's are "both" in
new working order. In order to use these VFDs, it is necessary to pick
up a 2HP or 3PH 3-phase motor for them (as appropriate to the VFD HP
rating). Check eBay. Sometimes these motors can be found for around $50.
I have only one spare 1HP 3-phase motor on hand, but it doesn't match
these particular VFD's. However, if you come across a VFD or speed
controller requiring a 1HP, 3-phase motor, I will sell it to you for $50.

BTW, for those that don't know, Leeson (major motor manufacturer) just
announced  that they are off to Mexico to build their motors! Cheaper
labor I guess.

Take care,
Bart