Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] First light (maybe second light) on mid-sized coil

Use two separate 120 vac circuits. a power reactor in each circuit.
Circuits are paralleled at the xmfr primary.

Dr. Resonance

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:50 PM, David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I have figured out that the real current hog culprit in this coil project
is the 80 nFd primary cap. I realized that as I turned the variac
up to only 30 on the dial, the SG is just at the threshold of be-
ginning to fire intermittently. If I turn the variac to this point and
stop just before the SG starts to sputter and leave it powered up
in this position for a couple of minutes, the 22 amp Staco variac
will still manage to get pretty warm and if left long enough, it will
even begin to smoke! I assume this is just the primary capacitor
load on the transformer as the SG is not even firing yet! Am I go-
ing to have to settle for  a smaller primary capacitor to stay happily
within the bounds of a 120 volt, 20 amp service or just say the heck
with it and upgrade this baby to 240 volt service? Any suggestions?

David Rieben