From: bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 1:30 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] JAVATC Questions

Hi Dennis,?
?
There should not be a compatibility problem. When you run the online version, it loads onto your pc and your pc is actually running the program. Same for the download version. There should be zero difference. Maybe there is a problem when you downloaded and unzipped? I just downloaded the pc version and it ran fine. Make sure you have the latest version 11.7. Once you unzip and run javatc.html, click the Load Demo Coil button and run that. If that runs correctly, maybe there is something else going on. Usually, if there is no error message, then some file is corrupted and has caused a script error. If your using Firefox, you can click on "Tools, then Error Console" which will show the cause of the error.?
?
As for the static gap calculator. It's meant for a main static gap (not safety gap). The safety gap should be set manually across the transformer similar to the manual setting of a static gap. The difference is you increase the distance of the safety gap until the transformer no longer fires across the gap. This would be the "minimum" safety gap distance. In reality, you will need to adjust the gap wider about 1/8". What is most important is to have the main static gap set correctly. The safety gap is there to prevent the cap and transformer from seeing a voltage beyond their capability. If the main gap is set too wide, the safety gap will do little in the way of protection. But if it is set barely beyond the main gap, it will fire often. So this is one of those areas you still have to experiment with.?
?
Take care,?
Bart?
?
otmaskin5@xxxxxxx wrote:?
Hi, I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.?
?
First, I'm having some trouble with the new version of JAVATC.? If I run it off of Bart's site, it works fine.? But when I?downloaded it to my PC I have problems getting it to calculate.? After I?enter?the inputs & hit the calculate button, it won't calculate.? Am I doing something wrong, or could my PC be incompatible withe the new version??
?
Second question is how do you use the static gap calculator to determine the right safety gap parameters?? In particular, my safety has 2 gaps, essentially 2 hot terminals on either side of a common center terminal which is grounded.? I am using cabinet knobs as the terminals.? They are not spheres, rather they look like a plain old door knobs with a relatively flat, but still somewhat rounded convex face.? Do you select "flat" or "round" on the calculator?? And since the terminals?aren't sphere, how would you calculate the diameter you need to input.? >?
And finally, what are the target values I should be trying to achieve in the safety gap??
?
As always, thanks for your help.? Dennis Hopkinton MA?