Re: [TCML] Thyratron

In a message dated 4/24/08 10:01:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
fusion2xxx@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>  I am rebuilding my pole pig powered coil and was wondering  has anybody
had successfully used a
>Hydrogen thyratron in place of the rotary spark gap? And if so,  what was
the result and was there
>any problems?

    Look in the TCML archives. As others have  mentioned, Richard Hull did
some well-documented work. Dunno if he ever went so  far as to use forced
commutation and inverse-parallel units with current  steering to make things better.
But he was certainly aware of these issues! The  circuitry would've been a
fair bit complex.

    I just picked up an F-288 thyratron for $20. It's a  reasonable-sized
unit, but no matter how I approach it I think the thing is  really still best
suited for its original application - switching a PFN into a  radar or laser
load, or as a crowbar.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

listings at AOL Autos.