Re: [TCML] poor coil performance again- help!

Hi Thomas,

I would like to add a couple of points to what Bart has pointed out:

1. For most TC purposes, the operating frequency is a consequence of  design,
not a target. Frequency varies inversely as the SQRT(L x  C). The larger the
secondary, the larger the L and the larger the internal  C, therefore, the
lower the frequency. Likewise, tiny secondaries can't provide  much L or C and
therefore have very high operating frequencies.

2. The "rules" for L and C are:
 L(pri) x C(pri) = L(sec) x C(sec) and
 Vout(max) = Vin x SQRT(Lsec/Lpri)

3. I have observed that the best spark formation occurs when the  topload
capacitance equals or exceeds the internal capacitance of the secondary  coil. It
seems that having more of the energy "out there where it's needed" aids  in
leader formation. This condition is almost always met by the toroid  sizing
rule-of-thumb, " minor diameter = sec diameter, etc.". Of course, if the  toroid
is too big, then most of the energy just gets stored there, and no  breakout
occurs.

Hope this helps.

Matt D

In a message dated 4/24/08 10:08:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,