Re: [TCML] sudden tesla shrinkage

Well, this must be a rather low voltage transformer? Maybe 7500V at 60mA output? If true, this is part of the problem. When you were running near resonance with the 21.5nF cap size, there was certainly quite a lot of resonant charging occurring which helped with cap charge, bps, etc.. Now that you've increased for LTR of 42nF (2 x res), you no longer have resonant charging benefits and the transformer is having difficulty charging the cap within the allotted time frame of the SRSG and the output voltage is probably around 5800 Vp between presentations. Given that this is a rotary, your likely missing many firings.

There are a couple things you can do.
1) reduce the SRSG to 120 bps.
2) reduce the cap size down.
3) move up to a 15/60 transformer.

I would personally opt for 1 and 2 above for now. Head down to 30nF and reduce bps to 120. This will still provide some LTR protection and it will increase voltage at the gap electrodes to help ensure the gap fires consistently.

Regards,
Bart

ameen_ghavam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
        Hey all, hope you can answer some questions for me,
So i had a 450 watt tesla coil running a 230 ish bps spark gap on a 25 nF cap. The resonant cap for my xformer was 21.5 nF, kinda close I realize. but i had safety gaps and a terry filter and never once had an issue. I was pulling 28 inches on my massive toroid (22 pF). I recently upgraded to a 240 SYNCHRONOUS bps gap and sized up my cap for 14000 volts at 42 nF as suppose to 12000 at 25 nF (for safety of the cap) and now i only pull like, 12 inches off my big toroid. I can pul like, 15 off my smaller 16 pF toroid. Should i size my cap back down? this was the only changing factor really, and it seems to have a negative impact on performance. My suspicion is that doubling cap sized reduced charge voltage and significantly reduced energy in joules. but i'm not sure, and i would prefer to hear your guys' opinions before i put my original smaller cap bank in the heat of battle. :)
         Thanks for the help!
    oh, and the sparks are full and meaty!! but they are shorter. the gap never misses and the system rings!