RE: [TCML] Primary selfC

Bart -
One of the many ways to avoid patent infingements back then, you have to admit its clever if not complicated.  There would definately be  some practical restrictions for the size of the coil, but for diathermy or a smaller demo coil it may have worked fine...

To one extent, all of these people were selling Tesla coils and Tesla was given little or no credit (and definately little or no money), but on the other hand the coils that Tesla did patent were so complicated to construct it is no wonder they were not made to a large extent (circuit controller patents, each one a different variation of TC power supply for various effects).  I mean, his circuit controller patents are mind-boggling - pure genius in many aspects - and well out of reach for most people to construct, even comprehend at times...even today with CNC mills and lathes those components are seriously complicated.  (And even more expensive!)

In the Leland Anderson book on Alternating Currents there is a wonderful passage though of Tesla remarking how after one of his patents expired, a german company started making a mercury turbine interrupter using his principles and selling them for X-Ray work.  They sent him one as a "present" of sorts.  (I have some pictures of a german-made interrupter specifically called "Tesla" interrupter.  I have to find some photos...more digging)

  Tesla, though later in life, appeared to have actually appreciated that they sent it to him.  At least they had the courtesy to show him upfront that they were using his ideas and making money off of them!

Jeff