Re: [TCML] Toroid Problems

Nicholas,

?

You can try placing a metal rod over the top of the toroid dipping at one end

into the toroid well and projecting away and outwards from the side of the
the toroid by about 6" or more to

make sure sparks can break out easily.? Then observe the spark with

the room darkened so that any fine spark output (which can sometimes

be only 1/4" long) will be seen.? It?helps to sharpen the rod to a point so
the sparks can break out more easily. ? Once you see the spark, then you can

retune at the primary to obtain longest sparks.? You'll probably need to
tune outwards by 3 turns or?more using the toroid versus not using a toroid.
(just guessing, i didn't do any calcs).??I don't think you mentioned where
you tuned without the toroid?? Were you tuned near the outer turn??

Pay attention too to the sound of the sparks and gap firing.? Is it smooth
and steady, or sporatic and sputtering?? You want it to be smooth.?

Height of toroid will not affect spark length to a great degree.? It has a
relatively small effect.

?http://futuret.110mb.com

Cheers,
John

Thanks for the responses.  I did however try a breakout point, but it
was only with a 2" nail.  Maybe I'll try a bigger one.  I don't have
the luxury of a variac (they seem too expensive), so I guess I'll just
run it at full strength despite the risks.  However, will my
performance suffer if my capacitor is too big?  Also, could this issue
have anything to do with the height of the toroid?