Re: [TCML] wire gage

Hey David...

when you were setting up your piggie coil, did you by chance take a look inside the pig and notice the size of the wires leading to the "output" insulators? Its been a few years since I have opened mine up and I was trying to remember about what size the wires were... for some reason I want to think they were about a #6 in dia.

Dr. Res... you deal alot with piggies... maybe you can recall the size seen in most 10KVA units...

Scot D

David Rieben wrote:

Hi all,

Yes, I agree with Gary here. The total volt-amps of a conductor has
no baring on the current only carrying capacity of a condutor. It's strict-
ly a matter of amperage vs the cross-section and the conducting material
that determines the required conductor size. That's why multiple mega-
watts can be transported via a relatively conductors for hundreds
of miles through power transmission lines. The ROC does become an
issue with very high voltages and requires a certain size OD of the con-
ductor to hold down corona losses. However, 10 amps current flow
at 50 volts requires no more cross section of a given conductor than
would 10 amps at 50,000 volts!

David

-