Re: RE: [TCML] Toroid Problems

I've tested my toroid and found that it is made of the aluminum HVAC
ducting.  I remember when I bought it that it could be compressed and
stretched due to some accordian-like structures on the tube.  And by
the way, my secondary has no gaps in the wire.

Bart asked me for the specs on my spark gap, so here they are.  There
are 5 electrodes.  The electrodes consist of 1" diameter copper pipe
pieces cut to be 4" in length.  I calibrated the spacing by hooking it
up in series to my NST, and adjusting it so that it just fired.  I'd
say the spacing for each gap is 1mm.  It fires beautifully.  I hooked
up what I believe to be a "squirrel fan" that I bought from an American
Science and Surplus store in Chicago.  It isn't a leaf blower, bit it's
stronger than any fan that I own.  I can see a difference between the
spark gap with and without the blower on it.  It's blowing through the
pipes and looks to be perfect for the application.

I'm wondering if this is simply a problem with my toroid.  With the
toroid on, I saw absolutley 0 discharge, and I was running it at night.
 Even if the coil's not tuned, shouldn't I see some sign of discharge
from the toroid?

Nicholas Goble

Quarkster wrote:

>Nicholas -
>
>  You stated that your toroid was made from "dryer duct" material. Can
you confirm that this is really convoluted aluminum HVAC ducting
(formed from heavy gage aluminum foil, like disposible pie-pans are
made from), and not the thin aluminized polyester material wound around
a coiled spring core? You need to use the HVAC duct material, which
comes compressed but is stiff enough to hold out at 90 degrees without
sagging. The usual "dryer duct" material is metallized plastic film
over a wire core (like a "slinky" toy), and is NOT conductive.  I have
seen several first-time coilers get confused by the "dryer duct"
material, which may look similar to the HVAC duct material if you're
looking at a photo on the internet. Quick check: take an open flame and
apply it to the material. The aluminized polyester material will
instantly melt,laving only the inner spring,  but the flame will have
no effect on the aluminum HVAC duct.

>  Otherwise, it looks like you've generally done your homework. Of
course, to state that you've got "about" 950 turns on the secondary
implies some lack of precision, and theres no way that you know the
resonant frequency is actually 243.344 KHz unless you have actually
measured it. You might want to go back and carefully measure the exact
number of turns in an inch of winding length, and re-calculate the
total number of turns. Also, is your secondary tightly wound, with
essentially no gap between adjacent windings? Even small turn-to-turn
gaps can have a significant effect on total turns count of a long
secondary. \