RE: [TCML] Transformer

Using an x-ray transformer to power a Tesla coil just isn't done, at least not commonly, to my knowledge, for reasons that have already been stated.  This is not to say that it can't be done, but it just isn't practical.  The problems are significant and I wouldn't try to walk a first time builder through it (especially not having tried it myself!).

As far as using the gfi-equiped NST, this is a relatively new problem and there have been varying reports of success.  Unfortunately no two NST's from different manufacturers' are identical in how their GFI is hooked up and whether it can be defeated.  I suggest that you post some photographs and state exactly what make and model it is, and see if anyone has crossed that bridge before.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA