Re: [TCML] Toroid Problems

Hi Nicholas,

Very nicely constructed coil. I love that massive strike rail - you can ground lightning bolts with that copper cable. :^)

What type/value bleeder resistors are you using on your MMC? Vishay VR37 series metal film HV resistors are the recommended type for handling the voltage stress. This particular application will simply eat up carbon film resistors and even many metal film resistors. Do you see any signs of damage or discoloration to the resistors? Can you see see any evidence of flashing or arcing from the resistors when you run the coil? If any of your resistors are flashing over, this will significantly detune your coil and dramatically reduce its output, and may even damage some of your MMC caps.

You may also want to try forcing air through the spark gaps in a direction that's perpendicular to the axis of the pipes, so that cool air actually flows THROUGH the gap spaces. Quenching may be part of your problem, especially if your toroid is not breaking out.

Another trick to force breakout is to make a "breakout bump" using a small U-shaped loop of conductive aluminum tape. Stick it to the side of your toroid to force early breakout. Once you get breakout, you should be able to then "tune for best spark".

BTW, I also live in the Chicago area (Woodridge) if you need a source of local help.

Best wishes,

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured

Nicholas J. Goble wrote:
I just posted a set of pictures of my coil on Flickr.com. By the way Neal, the Science and Surplus store that I was at was located at 5316 N. Milwaukee Avenue, right where 90 merges with 94.

Here's the link to my set of pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28523883@N06/sets/72157606573696858/

Thanks for all your help

Nicholas Goble