Re: [TCML] Hazards of Asynchronious arc gaps?

Not only sync rotary's for NST's, but also ensure bps is at least 100. Low bps can really cause some unexpected problems.

The em fields are intensified as are the nasty transients, so other components around the house can be killed as well when running low bps on a rotary or even async. I've mentioned this in the past. I killed an xbox-360 and a sound card in the pc simply by slowing down the rotary for only a moment (maybe 10 seconds). The firing during that time was very erratic and I immediately increased speed (I just wanted to see how the coil would react at low bps). It was later that I realized the damage incurred. The damage and the out-of-the-ordinary low bps is no coincidence.

By running async and/or low bps, all kinds of high voltage damage can occur to your components. This is not like single shot mode where the single shot is a one time event. Low bps is like many single shot situations without voltage control. The voltages "will" climb to values which the NST and cap may not handle. And as mentioned, other things in the house can be affected as well.

It's really good learning experience however.

Bart

Harold Weiss wrote:
Hi Harvey,

With NST drive, you want to be running with a syncronous gap. Otherwise you may kill the NST by overvolting when the gap fails to fire on the peak, and the voltage rings up extremely high. That's probably what's happening to the caps as well. I have seen it go 7X on one coil, but generally, it's between 2-4X for most coils.

David Weiss