Re: [TCML] mmc cap protection by spark-gaps-any ideas?

CONOR WHYTE wrote:
That was what  I was trying to say.  Some MMC designs I have seen use an over volt gap
over the entire MMC to protect it. -- are you saying this is a bad idea? mike hammer
used this design and it proved reliable for him. personally I have never used it.

Not sure how my name got into this discussion since Ive been
pretty much out of coiling for at least 4 or 5 years.

I still read the mailing list and still have the interest but
just dont have the time or resources anymore. Imagine the surprise
when my name jumps out at me during a quick scan of postings.

Im not sure why this person attached my name to this idea
of protecting a MMC via a spark gap. I was pretty much
out of coiling by the time MMCs became all the rage.
All of my caps were of the poly/foil type. Some flat
plate types and some rolled plate types.

To the best of my recollection I have never advocated placing
a spark gap directly across the primary cap. If such a gap
were to fire it would probably place a great deal of stress
on that cap from the very high currents involved.

I have strongly advocated safety gaps placed directly across
the transformer terminals as a fail safe of last resort as
well as a safety gap place in parallel with the main gap.

Mike Hammer