Re: [TCML] Capacitor Conundrum

Thanks D.C., For the great answer in plain talk. I know this subject goes much deeper into the quantum level than I can understand, but the analogy with electromagnetic fields helps to explain the principle. So, if a vacuum capacitor is charged to a high potential and then the plates are separated far enough, would you have two monopole capacitors with opposite charge? Then if the plates were brought back to their original spacing, would the charges be conserved? Similar to the Leyden jar experiment, but with no dielectric material, just empty(?) space.

Thanks,

Tony Greer"

	Answer to your questions is yes to both.  Note that because there is a force between the plates you'd have to do work to separate them and that since the same charge is now contained in a lower capacitance the voltage between the plates would be increased.  That work would be returned if you allowed the plates to return to their original position.

Ed