Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] ESR ESL figures in caps

Hi Chris,

In theory, when paralleling N capacitors, overall ESR and ESL will be divided by N (similar to paralleling discrete resistor or inductors). The capacitance will be multiplied by N. So, the equivalent ESR and ESL will be the individual ESR and ESL divided by the number you have in parallel.

However, in practice, what you ACTUALLY obtain will be a function of your physical layout and interconnection scheme. For reasonably interconnection schemes, both ESR and ESL will still be significantly lower than that of a single cap, but not as low as theory predicts.

Bert