[TCML] SCR turn off spike

Hi all,

I noticed in my scope waveform a negative spike on the SCR gate, image....
http://www.future-technologies.co.uk/IMPULSE/newcoilprog/new/scrpulse2.jpg

I wonder if I should add some protection on the gate as I am worried the spike will damage the gate if left in that state. I don't have any specs on the SCR so I don't know what is the safe operating area for it. #

Going by a similar sized SCR, it says max positive voltage 20V and max negative voltage 5V. I am hitting 5V negative just on 5VDC input (20V on the SCR).

Cheers,
Chris