Re: [TCML] Interesting pages on Q factors

The Q factor is not as important as many earlier physics books suggest.
Their recommendations were based on coils with a very small topload, usually
a small sphere.
There is also a substantial difference between static Q and dynamic
operating Q factor.
The dynamic operating Q factor can be measured with an O-scope whereas
JAVATC calculates the static Q factor.  Operating Q factors are typically in
the range
of 10 to 50 for medium size coils.

Richard Hull wound several coils with relatively thin wire (28 AWG) and
still produced 12 ft long sparks in a magnifier configuration.

Going to a large 24 inch dia will tremendously improve your coils
performance, 8" to 24" will increase potential by a factor of 900% (  (24/8)
^ 2).

I would suggest 1,200 turns on your coil, then use a h/d ratio of 4.5:1
With a 24" dia coil, then 24 x 4.5  =  winding length of 108"

108" / 1,200 turns  =  .09" dia wire      12 AWG is .0951" in double build
insulation, so this would be a good choice for wire size.

Don't skip on your spark gap design as poor quenching could be very damaging
to your capacitor bank (mechanical analogy = putting your car in neutral
and flooring the accelerator pedal.  The energy has to have somewhere to go,
and if quenching is poor, it keeps being bounced back into the primary.  You
want it to be absorbed and ring out in the sec coil.

Sounds like a very powerful coil!

Dr. Resonance