Re: [TCML] Capacitor Choice Reassurance

Hi Phillip,

It's fine. The number of caps is adequate and the temp rise per deg C is 0.538 which is excellent. The lower that number is the better. The rms current handling, dielectric heating, etc. is pulled into that number. The caps should do great!

Take care,
Bart

P Tuck wrote:
Hello.

I have been lurking a while prior to building as I'm in the process of
getting all the necessary parts. I just wanted some reassurance on my recent
capacitor order.

My NST is a 10K/48 mA, and I will be aiming for a LTR value of 21.4 nF (the
res value would have been  15.2 nF  on a 240 volt  50cycle UK supply) Gap
will be a static.

I have ordered 28 X CD 942C20P-15K-F's for two strings of 14 in series
giving 21.4nF rated for 28Kv. This is twice the peak voltage of the NST.
Should I have aimed higher - say 2.5 times peak?

(bearing in mind these are meant to 'tough' caps)

Now for the uncertainty. The caps' are rated at a peak current of around 430
amps (I have seen differing estimates) My understanding of this is that it
means two string in parallel should be safe so long as the primary circuit
current does not exceed 860 amps ? JAVATC gives around the 500 amp figure
for the primary circuit.

Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Philip