RE: [TCML] HV capacitors wanted

Thanks for clarifying the name.

A minor point on capacitor parts - "dielectric" refers to the insulating medium between the plates.  In a bottle cap, the dielectric is the glass bottle.  The inner "plate" is salt water.  The outer plate is typically aluminum foil, as that is a lot lighter, neater, and probably more conductive, so less lossy, than using an external salt water bath.  I would stick with the outer foil.  And any spilling of the external bath _would_ be a very bad thing, safety-wise.

Yes, commercial HV caps will be more compact and somewhat more efficient, but if money is tight, that's your best bet.  After all, that's what Tesla used.

And if you were making a Christmas list for your dad, you might add eight Cornell-Dubilier 942C20P15K caps (0.15uF@2000V).  In series, this will give you 18nF @16kV.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA