Re: [TCML] Salient Pole Query

----- Original Message ----- From: <futuret@xxxxxxx>
Phil,

I don't know the answer to that, but my guess
is that no difference could be detected.  The
whole process doesn't seem to be all that critical
as far as I can tell.  Various folks have tried various
widths from 3/4" to 1" or so, and everything seemed
to work fine.  possibly the motors ran a little cooler
at 3/4" width (assuming a 3" dia rotor).

I'll echo John's experience. After converting about a half-dozen motors, the only thing to strive for is that your flats are the same width, and have a uniform angular spacing between them. As far as precision, I used a 4.5" angle grinder, and they turned out fine using John's rule of thumb given above.

Stop by your local used appliance rebuilder and ask them if you can have a couple of old motors that they pull from dryers when they rebuild them; they make great motors to practice on before you dig into your "good" motor.

Jon