Re: [TCML] Re: IGBT CM600 max current ?

Greg,

A while back you gave us some details on the 1:12 scale NLL coils and mentioned a 3kv primary and conventional C-switch-L scheme, with IGBT's in place of a spark gap for improved efficiency and control. I just assumed you were using a monster IGBT that was rated over 3kv.

So, how are you able to use a 1200V CM600 in a conventional 3kv primary? Series up 3 or 4 of them? If so, are there any issues with over-voltaging a single IGBT because the others turn on too fast?

What else can you tell us about how it works? Do you charge up the C to 3kv and then close the IGBTs until discharged, just like a spark gap?

Terry Blake

/////////////////////
Hi Terry,

They're fairly straightforward coils, secondary form is 24"x105", toroid is 11"x55". These dimensions are 1:12 scale of the 12-story NLL design. These prototype coils are used mainly to test design concepts for the NLL coils. The primary drive is the conventional C-switch-L scheme, with IGBT's in place of a spark gap for improved efficiency and control. The primary operates at 3kV, 4.5kA. Currently, the system can produce an 18ft point-to-point arc with about 6kW input power. Although the prototype operates from either single or three-phase power for convenience of demonstration, the final NLL design will use a dedicated six-phase, 20kV system. GL

Greg Leyh wrote:
Hi Finn, Chris,

The twin prototypes shown here also use the CM600, at about 4200A:
http://www.lightninglab.org/concept/Integratron01.jpg

-GL

Finn Hammer skrev:

Chris,

I have successfully run a CM600 at 4500 Peak Amps.
You can see the effect here, where the coil is producing 60 inches of spark from 1 such brick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK17-CoB7LE
I call it world record, that`s for fun: It is in the group, T-BRISG, and since I am currently the only one in that lot, it was easy.

I don`t know how long time the brick can last this kind of abuse, but it is at least in the hours.

Cheers, Finn Hammer