Re: [TCML] voltage divider

Are you talking about measuring the top volts? I'm not aware of any easy way to do this accurately without loading the coil. Resistors would certainly load the coil. I think maybe if a portion of turns on the secondary were measured down low (minimizing loading affects), then maybe some scaling would allow a decent ballpark value. But even with that, there are reason's to measure small sections of the secondary in a few various areas along the coil length to get a better average.

Also, think about what your measuring when it comes to top volts. You really want to "know" the voltage right at the edge of breakout. In other words, how high does the voltage peak before breakout.

Take care,
Bart

jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hey I was wondering if it was possible to make a voltage divider capable to measuring the voltage from a medium sized tesla coil...with resistors from say radio shack.

i found some information online and everyone seemes to be using  about 10 of those huge high power resistors.  What if I used like a hundred normal resistors? since i can buy alot for really cheap from a friend.

just wondering

thanks,
Jay Howson