Re: [TCML] Was Primary Grounding now RF gnd Center ball safety gap

Hi Phillip,

I can try, but it's more of a quirky thought. I'll try an ascii diagram:

                             |       |
               o o o o o o o |       | o o o o o o o <--primary
               |             ---------
               |    |-------------------------| <--cabinet
    conductor-->\   |                         |
                 |  |                         |
                 o  |                         |
   safety gap--> o  |                         |
                 |  |                         |
                 |  |                         |
                 |  |-------------------------|
               -----
                --- <-- RF ground

The conductor is connected between primary and open end of gap. Horseshoe gap (or whatever) is adjusted beyond primary breakdown voltage, but close enough that should the outer ring be hit by a top terminal strike, the voltage is high enough for a moment to arc the gap and send the strike to RF ground. Well, hopefully it's high enough (not sure). I do know that strike hits I've had to strike rings also crossed over and jumped to the primary a good 2" distance.

I don't know how well this would work. Just a thought I had. It's about providing primary strike protection without attracting primary strikes. One problem I do realize is that the ionized gap will cause breakdown voltage across the gap to lower and probably cause the primary to begin arcing the gap (but I guess that depends on the gap itself and the required distance for terminal voltage when the primary is hit).

Take care,
Bart

Phillip Slawinski wrote:
There is another "safety gap" idea we could devise so that we won't care
about primary strikes (thus eliminating worries of primary configurations or
strike rings). The outer primary is most often hit (yes?). Run a wire down
from the outer turn of the primary to a classic \/ configuration to RF
ground, greater than the primary outer turn voltage, but a place where
terminal strikes are forced to go. Performs the same situation as a strike
ring without the strike ring near the primary. So, you still end up with the
benefits of a strike ring but without the need of a strike ring.
Can you clarify this?