Re: [TCML] Hello. New Coiler needs advice.

Hi Ron,

In the 1990's I built a 4" coil based on a single 15/30 NST.  I used a cluster of four, 750ml wine bottles for roughly 6nF.

You don't really need bleeder resistors.  The NST secondary winding will short out the caps almost instantly after you power down.  If you really feel you must use bleeder resistors, there's no neat way to attach them to the bottles.  You might want to place your bleeders across the spark gap instead.  If I get a vote, I say skip them altogether.

Any particular reason why you are using glass bottle caps?  An MMC based on a series/parallel grid of polypropylene film & foil "snubber" caps would be much neater and more compact.  The only advantage to bottle caps is cost.  If you can spare a few extra bucks, go for the MMC instead.

Cheers,

Greg

http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/junkbox1.htm